"An Ounce of Prevention: Health Reference Basics"
Consumers, library information professionals, and health professionals—
- The points of an information triangle
- Roles, responsibilities and characteristics of each
- Importance of the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act
- (HIPAA) when interacting with patients, information professionals and health professionals
Importance of the medical reference interview and communication tips to enhance
- Vignettes and more highlighting reference interactions with diverse clientele with differing resource needs
- Where do we learn our cultural “rules”?
- Cultural Assumptions
- Examine dimensions of culture using sample comparison of two cultures
- Resources to help understand cultural influences on health, wellness and view of health care
- Influence of culture/diversity on reference interviews/interactions
- Impact on level of service to culturally diverse patrons
- Resources to improve reference services to diverse populations
"How May We Reach/Teach/Assist You?"
- Ideas for providing quality health information outreach and services
“Health and Medical Resource Round-up”
- Matching the right types of information to the right clients
- Print, Reference, Circulating, Adult, Teen, Juvenile
- Resouces available at public, private and academic libraries
- Health/Medical Sites
- Adult, teen, juvenile, low literacy, multicultural/multilingual
- Health-related “Resource Guides” or “Launch Pad” Sites
- Health/Medical Reference Sites for Information Professionals
"Question and Answer Session"
Teleconference | Speaker